Wednesday, June 22, 2022

50 Mile Bike Ride

click to enlarge

One of the Eagle Scout required merit badges is a choice between Swimming, Hiking, or Biking. C is not a fan of swimming and the hiking one is surprisingly tough. He chose Biking. One of the biking requirements is to do a 50 mile bike trip within 8 hours. He and J worked together to plan out a route.

C's friend M came along for the first leg. He started at Log Boom Park in Kenmore at 9 am. They biked to Gas Works Park in Seattle which has an incredible view of downtown Seattle. J drove down and met them there to encourage them. J took the photos.


It was a cloudy day, not too hot and not too cold. Perfect for biking 



They biked back to Kenmore and then M left. My son A joined C at this point and they headed east towards Woodinville. I met my boys at Marymoore park in Redmond. I got C's lunch and drink order. A said that he was tired and he had only done about 13 miles at this point while C had done about 30.

J and I met the boys again in Woodinville at Wilmot Park and J brought a sub for A to eat. C didn't want to stop and just carried on. A caught up to C on the trail. J met the boys at the end point in Kenmore. C finished at about 3 pm. He could still smile at the end! 

note our cars in the background

C now has to demonstrate that he knows how to change a bike tire to his merit badge counselor and he will have completed all the requirements. 

I'm so proud of his accomplishment. As well, he did all that biking while wearing a back brace! I bought him a very large strawberry milkshake to reward him.



Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails