Saturday, June 05, 2010

Goodwill Hunting and Painting Perpetually

Every Saturday morning, early, I hit the road in search of garage sales and/or estate sales. I've become pretty savvy about which sales will have the good stuff (antique furniture, picture frames and decor items are on my wish list) and which ones to just skip. I was surprised this morning, while cruising through a community garage sale, how many people had such small amounts of things put out to sell. Why not call it a closet sale instead? Come on people! I'm such a garage sale snob! ;)

Here's a photo of this morning's treasures.
A grand total of $9.25 was spent - my biggest splurge was the bongo drums for $5. They are VERY popular with a certain little boy. The kid chair (sorry, kind of hidden behind the $1 dahlia plant!) was free!

On Memorial Day, I scored big time using CraigsList. I got a dresser in the style I wanted (Queen Anne? I'm not sure) in great shape for $20!!! I plan on painting it white but I'm waiting until the weather stays dry for a week or so before I get my hubby to haul it outside. :)

I painted so many things today - almost all of these items I have found at Goodwill (or other thrift stores) in the last few weeks.
1. wood magazine rack
2. candle sconces
3. tiny wood bench
4. wood chair
5. in/out tray
6. metal magazine rack
7. wood-framed clock
8. silverware box

I have a tip for Goodwill shoppers. Go late Saturday afternoon or evening. If you go then, we will find so many new items being put out on the shelves since Saturday is such a big day for donations. You can get the good stuff this way. It goes without saying that you need to visit your favourite thrift store often to check for new items.

I'll be posting some before and after painting photos soon. Did I mention that I also planted and weeded today? What a day!

I'm linking to Today's Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality.
Pin It

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm a gsale snob too! We went out today and found SO much tho, I'm glad I have a suburban. Ha! I'm on the hunt for a dresser too...Not finding anything yet, am planning on having to paint whatever I find...

Sarah H said...

Wow! I can't believe that was only $20! Craigslist is the greatest.

I'm not letting myself go to garage sales during what I have taken to calling my "season of decluttering". ;) It's especially difficult to resist those community garage sales...

Stuart and Beth said...

Good job. I love Ravensburger puzzles. I found some at a thrift store for 50 cents each. I was kicking myself for not picking up more CM stuff at a sale I found yesterday because they wanted to get rid of the stuff and it was cheap. Oh well just less stuff to put in my house.

Denise said...

You're right! Great find on the dresser. It will look so great painted white! Can't wait to see the pictures on the other stuff you rehabbed!

Anonymous said...

You are not a garage sale snob, you just want something to actually stop for! I agree with you, some of the stuff people put ot should be in the dumpster. Then there are the people who want the price they paid for something! Please do not paint this lovely chest of drawers! It is beautiful just as it is.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Love that dresser you found!! Thanks for joining in today.

Vanessa said...

Your dresser is AMAZING! Gorgeous finds. I love the first picture with the fun eclectic collection of found goodies.

Colette said...

Good finds!! Love the dresser too!

ThriftyAnnabella said...

That dresser was a great find!

Related Posts with Thumbnails