Today is Victoria Day in Canada - a national holiday. Why? To commemorate Queen Victoria's birthday and the current sovereign (Queen or King)'s birthday. Victoria Day is the last Monday before or on May 24th. May 24th is Queen Victoria's actual birth date. To Canadians, Victoria Day weekend means that winter is finally over!
Want a fun way to celebrate? I recommend watching The Young Victoria starring Emily Blunt. I watched it over the weekend and LOVED it. It was great to learn more about Queen Victoria's early years of her reign and see an inspiring love story and marriage.
Other great movies about Queen Victoria:
- Victoria and Albert
- Mrs. Brown (about the end of Queen Victoria's life)
My home province was named after her fourth daughter - Princess Louise Caroline Alberta. Of course, the city of Victoria, BC, was named after Queen Victoria.
I love all things Victorian. I'm going to read this book soon:
to learn more about one of my favourite historical figures.Pin It
Monday, May 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'd really like to see Queen Victoria! Thanks for the recommendations!
Actually just watched The Young Victoria Sunday night -- had no idea it was so close to her birthday!
Yeah! Glad to hear winter is over for you. Your boys are just adorable. Thanks for stopping by.
Thanks for stopping by. I love your blog name and it is exactly what I've been doing too much of lately. I need to see the sun again.
I got these great stencils on Etsy andcan't remember the exact name of her site, but I've made some pillows also that I'm going to post about and I'll find it so you can check her out. Well worth it.
Enjoy your weekend.
Kathleen
Post a Comment