Friday, April 18, 2014

Good Friday - some thoughts.

Behold the Man by Antonio Ciseri

Today is Good Friday, one of the most misunderstood days of the year. Even my children don't understand it very well and they go to a Christian school. One of them asked me why Jesus rose from the dead. One of the simplest reasons is that if Jesus didn't rise from the dead, He wouldn't be fully God and fully man. Good Friday is the day we remember Jesus' death on the cross which is also known as the Passion of Christ.

The art above depicts Pilate with Jesus and Barabbas. The crowd was given the choice by Pontius Pilate to vote on which man should be freed - the criminal or Jesus, who led a perfect life. The crowd chose Barabbas. This article reminds me that I am Barabbas. I am the one who is guilty and Jesus took my punishment on the cross. He took my place and I am released.

Last night at our church we celebrate the Lord's supper with both a meal (soups and bread) and with communion. Yesterday was Maundy Thursday. Maundy comes from the Latin word for commandment -mandatum. Jesus told his disciples:

John 13:34
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another:
 just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. (ESV)

Our pastor spoke briefly and reminded us that our faith is lived out in community. We as Christians aren't just in a vertical relationship with God, the horizontal (those around us) relationship with fellow believers is important as well. We have spiritual fathers, mothers, brothers, and sisters to love.


Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails