My friend Colette has been urging me to write this post.
My boys finished school on Friday. I hope to keep to some regular routine this summer. In the morning, I'd like them to read for 20 minutes and do some basic chores as well. I also do the Summer Bridge books to prevent summer slide.
Back in 2011, I wrote about having 3 jars of ideas for summer. Blue is for rainy day ideas, yellow is sunny day ideas, and orange is outings.
Rainy Day activities:
- board games
- "PE class" - I'm going to get my boys to tell me what exercises they do at school for PE and we'll do them together.
- make a music video together.
- make pretzels
- make cookies/muffins
- fondue night as a family
- do chores
- invite a friend over, however, this seems to be more fun on a sunny day.
- write a letter to a grandparent.
- drawing
- dominoes
- hotter and colder - hide something and then say whether the person is hotter or colder in finding it.
- card games
Sunny Day activities:
- slip and slide - I think we need a new one. :)
- fly kites
- lemonade stand
- badminton - we found very cheap racquets at Target in the $3 section.
- make stepping stones
- sidewalk chalk
- water gun fight
- wash the car
- red light green light
- street hockey
- blow bubbles
- play hot lava
- red rover
Outings:
- Tacoma Zoo
- splash park like Willis Tucker
- mini golf
- batting cage - there is one in Everett
- beach - so many to choose from!
- the Seattle Great Wheel
- Jetty Island
- Lynnwood Pool
- Seattle Zoo
- berry picking
- explore a new park.
- go to a high school and play soccer and/or practice baseball with a wiffle ball. We recently went to Lynnwood High school and Mountlake Terrace High school.
- Meadowdale Beach - this is a big hike.
- Flag Park
- Brier Park
- Bothell Landing
- Everett park with merry go round near boeing
- Lynnwood Park near Meadowdale with zip line
- Edmonds City Park
- Bobcat Park
- Seward Park - south Seattle
- St. Edward state park
- Volunteer park in Seattle - has a water tower to climb
- Logan Park
- many more!
Excerpts from my 2011 list can be found here.
I read this blog post about surviving summer and found some ideas I'm going to adopt.
Here's another good blog post I just found - Frugal Summer Fun in the Northwest.
If you need more ideas, I have a Pinterest board of summer fun ideas.
1 comment:
Great ideas! Thanks Sheila! I love your different categories! Have fun!
Post a Comment