
I finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See way back in August while on vacation. It was on the list for my bookclub. Here is a synopsis from Publisher's Weekly:
See's engrossing novel set in remote 19th-century China details the deeply affecting story of lifelong, intimate friends (laotong, or "old sames") Lily and Snow Flower, their imprisonment by rigid codes of conduct for women and their betrayal by pride and love. While granting immediacy to Lily's voice, See (Flower Net) adroitly transmits historical background in graceful prose. Her in-depth research into women's ceremonies and duties in China's rural interior brings fascinating revelations about arranged marriages, women's inferior status in both their natal and married homes, and the Confucian proverbs and myriad superstitions that informed daily life. Beginning with a detailed and heartbreaking description of Lily and her sisters' foot binding ("Only through pain will you have beauty. Only through suffering will you have peace"), the story widens to a vivid portrait of family and village life. Most impressive is See's incorporation of nu shu, a secret written phonetic code among women—here between Lily and Snow Flower—that dates back 1,000 years in the southwestern Hunan province ("My writing is soaked with the tears of my heart,/ An invisible rebellion that no man can see").
What I liked about the book
- learning about life in 19th Century China.
What I didn't like about the book
- the foot binding. A big "ick" factor. I can't believe how long this horrible practice continued in China. Centuries! It reminds me of female circumcision.
I was a bit disappointed in this book. Like I Capture the Castle, I had high expectations of it. I expected to *love* the book but it was just a good read.Pin It
3 comments:
Came from Semicolon, i just reviewed the same book! I liked and disliked the same things as you - the foot binding was pretty horrific but very interesting to learn about. Love the name you went with for your blog! :)
I read this book last year and gave it a pretty good rating. Now I wonder why because I don't remember liking it that much. Maybe I liked the way See wrote but didn't care all that much for the story. I know it is a book that I won't re-read. The foot-binding was gross, wasn't it?
It was fun to read your review. I had not heard of this book before I read it. You know the part that really fascinated me was the women sang and chanted.
I think this book dealt with hard things, but I did enjoy it. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around footbinding and why men found it so appealing. It makes me curious about what that culture finds alluring today.
Post a Comment