In the last week I've finished the following.
Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry. This is this month's choice for my book club. It was OK. I thought it was too "preachy" in that the author put so much of his own philosophy and opinions into the book that it took away from the story itself. I thought there was too much emphasis on (and repetition of) the main character's doubts about God and Christianity. I'm assuming the author has these same doubts. It is a sad book. It was well written, I will say that.
A much lighter read was The Secret Life of Becky Miller by Sharon Hinck. This is a Christian fiction book - a genre of which I've read very little. It is written in the style of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. It was a fun read - a little preachy, too, but it is Christian fiction. :) I enjoyed the interactions of the main character with her small weekly bible study group and best friends. They are all such diverse characters - some are her best friends and pray and encourage and babysit for her at the drop of a hat. I was left feeling a bit jealous that I don't have such a group of my own.
What's next?
Well, I haven't decided. I've been skimming some books I have from the library but I wouldn't say I'm *reading* them.Pin It
Sunday, February 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment