Friday, April 22, 2022

College Visits in California


C now has two college visits under his belt. I'm relieved and grateful. We only managed one real college visit for A which was Trinity Western before the pandemic. His other college visit was a drive thru tour of Biola in April 2021.

C and I flew from SeaTac into Santa Ana on Monday night. Monday April 18th was the day that a federal judge ruled that the mask mandate for air travel was struck down. It was announced on the plane that masks were optional. A lot of people clapped.

The first night we stayed at a hotel not far from the airport in Santa Ana. In retrospect, this was a mistake. I wish we had stayed near Santa Clarita. In the morning I had to drive 2 hours north to the Master's University. When I looked up the time before it gave me an estimate of one hour. 

This billboard helped us find the school. 

TMU's motto is For Christ and Scripture

We missed our scheduled tour of 9 am but they were able to accommodate us. That's the advantage of a small school. We had a personal tour riding around campus on a golf cart. Our guide was very enthusiastic. She is local to the area and a communications major. We saw the library, the cafeteria, the bookstore, the gym which also serves as the location for chapel, the fitness centre, and a dorm room.

We got free coffee/tea at the coffee shop. I saw this and thought it was funny. 


John McArthur is the chancellor of The Master's University. C was able to attend a class. He got a free meal in the cafeteria. He could've attended a 2nd class but that one would have been an hour and twenty minutes long and he declined. He met with an admissions counsellor.

While C was in the class, I went to nearby Santa Clarita to get lunch then I did some shopping. When C and I were ready to leave, I was taking a photo of C by a sign. A nice young man offered to take our photo together. Very kind of him.


C really likes TMU and can see himself going there. It is smaller (900 on campus students vs. 3000 on campus students) and more conservative than Biola. 

The drive back to La Mirada was an hour and a half. We met up with A and got pizza and wings from Dominoes. We went to a picnic table to eat on campus. C and A played one on one beach volleyball.


On Wednesday morning we came back to Biola and C had an official tour of campus which started with a visit to chapel and then a tour. C was the only teen on the tour without a parent. I didn't think I needed to come for the tour and I wanted to spend time with A. I took him to get some boxes for his dorm move out. 

C was given some vouchers for lunch. We ate outside in the perfect temperature. About 70 degrees. 

The flowers were definitely showing off at Biola.

I don't know what this flower is.


C and I went to In and Out burger to get him a t shirt. A has lots of homework and editing work so he didn't have much time to spend with us.

C and I did some investigating regarding shipping A's computer (and other things he wants for the summer) back home. We went to greyhound package express and took a box of something I ordered for A (back in the fall) that he doesn't need. Unfortunately they gave us a quote of 57 dollars. Too much for something we don't want or need. We came back to Biola via a scenic route. I was amazed at the view from Whittier Heights on a hill where you can see the expanse of the L.A. area.

Back at Biola, C did some volleyball practice and I relaxed in the shade by the coffee shop. C posed for a photo.


We left for the airport and filled up the rental with gas along the way. Gas prices are about 599 a gallon.

Our return flight was about 60 percent full. It was Wayne to Paine which is the best option. John Wayne (Santa Ana) to Paine Field in Everett. 

The sun was setting as we left. 


It sure felt cold when we came out of the airport back home!



Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails