Friday, July 17, 2015

Trip to Calgary - Part 1 - This is Your Life

I was born and raised in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I'm very proud of my hometown and my roots. I lived in that area until 1993. From my birth until age 10, I lived on a farm just north of the city. While on the farm, our official address was Balzac, a very small place.
Back in the 70s, it was 6 miles from our farm to the city limit. Now, the farm is within the city and all that is left is an old quanset. There is a very busy highway close by.
I'm glad there is something still there since the site of my Dad's brother's farm is now a shopping centre surrounded by hundreds of houses!

I took my boys to see my old junior high school, my high school, and my university. It was fun to find my photo on a wall of my high school which we were able to explore.

The biggest surprise was my previous house in northwest Calgary. It has been completely renovated and looks nothing like it did when I lived there in the 80s.

On Sunday, we went to my old church and found lots of familiar faces. Here is me with some old friends.
Freda and James.
There was a family reunion as well. My uncle and his wife (who live in Phoenix) were also visiting Calgary when we were there. My mom's other brother and his wife were there, too, and we met at my cousin Colin's house for some Swiss Chalet chicken and gabbing.
My parents in the centre. My American uncle on the left, my Canadian uncle on the right.

I also was able to meet up with my good friend Carrie and talk shabby chic for a while. She introduced me to it way back when. :)Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails