Friday, April 06, 2007

A Christian Easter

My husband and I have been trying to teach our sons about the real meaning of Easter but we aren't "depriving" them of the fun of egg hunts and such. We bought Resurrection Eggs and have gone through a few of them but we think this is better suited for slightly older children. A leather whip, a crown of thorns, a nail are a bit intense for them right now. As a side note, one of our children's bibles skips Jesus' death on the cross altogether. A hard thing to teach to a 3 year old and an almost 2 year old, I admit, but it shouldn't be left out! We're glad our main children's bible includes Christ's passion.

I found this article today by Focus on the Family (thanks to Kimberly's Cup) and thought I'd share the link. I like the following exerpt.

Teach them about Jesus by talking about what a real Easter Bunny is

Use a rabbit picture, a stuffed bunny or even a real one (if you are adventurous) to teach some of the characteristics of Jesus that we should all try to have. By adding a Bible verse to each quality, you will create a true Easter Bunny.

Real Easter bunnies:

  • are white as snow because Jesus takes all sin away (Isaiah 1:18b).

  • are gentle, kind-hearted and forgiving (Ephesians 4:32).

  • have big ears that are quick to listen (James 1:19).

  • have big eyes to look carefully and choose what is good (1 Thessalonians 5:21).

  • have no voice for complaining or arguing (Philippians 2:13).

  • are quiet in prayer, but hop with thanksgiving and rejoicing (1Thessalonians 5:21).

  • have big feet to go tell others about Jesus so they can be like Easter bunnies, too (Matthew 28: 19-20).

  • eat what is healthy by filling up on God’s word every day (Psalm 119:11).

I think we'll try this tonight.Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails