Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Celebrating 60 Years


My parents celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary this past Saturday. Their actual anniversary isn't until November but September has much better weather. As well, we held the party on my mom's 96th birthday. My dad's birthday is also in September. Dad will soon be 90. 

We started planning this celebration back in April. This is the invitation (with some details taken out).


My main job was creating the slideshow. It was a very big job. I took my mom's paper scrapbooks home and took out all of the photos in order to scan them. I also scanned a lot of printed photos. I think I scanned about 800 photos. I also digitized slides of my dad's. Organizing and digitizing photos is a job that never ends. I had a caption for every photo in the slide show. My hubby was working on the song timing for the slide show until midnight the night before we left home.

The logistics of the party were a bit tricky. We reserved a room in the same complex as my parents' apartment back in April. Usually there is an activity director to help with events but there is no one in that position at present. We needed to get coffee, tea, utensils, and vases, etc. In the end, we were able to get what we needed from a staff member but I was a bit disappointed that the tea and coffee arrived later than agreed. We needed to store the cake in the fridge until the right time. We were locked out of the kitchen which was frustrating since we paid for the room rental. 

My mom's friend got roses from Costco and I arranged them in small vases on each table.

I was worried about the technical details of showing the slideshow. I put so many hours into it that I wanted to be sure that it would run without any problems. When it did run, I went over and hugged my husband in my excitement and relief. 

The slide show ran for 30 minutes. It was longer than I really wanted, but we allowed plenty of time for each slide so the caption could be read. I never would have thought of taking a photo of people watching the slideshow. I'm so glad that Charlene did!


My husband read the limerick that his dad wrote ten years ago for my parents' 50th anniversary. It summarizes their life together. 



My boys weren't able to come to the party since they have just started classes at college. They made a short video greeting for their grandparents which we showed to the guests. 

There were 28 people at the party, including our family. My cousin Julie came all the way from Saskatoon. Julie was the only one at the party who was at my parents' wedding in 1963. She was a candle lighter (at age 9). My cousin Gerry's wife Flo came from Nanton, Alberta. 

The other guests were friends from their building, friends from their church, and friends from my dad's running group. 

Here is my dad with friends from TMG (Thursday Morning Group).

Richard (below) faithfully drives my dad on Thursday mornings.

Mom talking to friends.


Four of my mom's friends were helpers at the party. One was the photographer,

one brought the roses and served tea and coffee, one was in charge of the guest book, and one served tea and coffee. Here are two of the helpers.

Mom and dad with the guest book attendant.

Here's the cake.

Mom and Dad cutting the cake:


Both my mom and dad have books about their lives. Mom's is a traditional memoir which she wrote in 2010. Dad is a collection of answers to questions about his life.


Here's my dad with a handmade card he received from a running group friend Marcia.

We displayed the scrapbooks that Mom has made and an illustrated book about my dad that a former colleague made. 



We had the wedding photos from 1963 on display.

I made a display board of photos from my parents' lives. I actually made the board the night before the party, in our hotel room. I'm getting lots of experience making display boards. I made about 5 for my son's graduation/Eagle scout party. 

Mom made a short speech at the end of the party.


She recounted a date with my dad in his farm truck, she thanked people for coming, and sang a portion of the song" We Have This Moment" by Bill Gaither:  

"Yesterday's gone and tomorrow may never come

but we have this moment today."

She also gave a short gospel message.  

Mom and Dad's next door neighbour Faye (next to me below)

said that this party was the most interesting birthday party she had ever attended. 

My hubby took these photos of me with Julie and Flo:

J told us to pretend we were having a great chat.

I'm grateful for Julie's photos which added to those taken by Charlene. I'd say the party was a success. 

On Sunday afternoon, I took Mom for a drive along Dallas road. It has the best views in Victoria. 


J and I stayed at Marketa's B and B. We were disappointed to find that the city of Victoria has recently put in bike lanes on Marketa's street. This eliminates street parking for guests. There is a tiny lot at the back of the building but not enough for all the guests. We had to park at a lot which was 3 blocks away. Walking from that lot after dark is not a good idea for a woman travelling alone.


Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails