Monday, February 14, 2022

Party Planning


I love planning parties. It is one of my favourite things. Our assistant pastor Ed Volz retired and our church wanted to honour him with a dinner. We didn't have a lot of time for planning. It might have been 3 weeks. A pretty short time to get things going.

I was in charge of aesthetics. My friend Linda gave input. I trust her judgement.

I asked Mrs. Volz what colours they like and she said yellow and green. 

My table decorations were as follows.  I had 6 vases in my own collection. I found 2 at the thrift store for 70 cents each. I borrowed 2 from Linda. I wanted them to all be the same size and shape.

We had 10 tables for guests. I also needed flowers for the drinks table and the dessert table. For the other tables I used some mason jars (for vases) that I had spray painted gold for a "Senior Blessing" lunch that I helped with last year at the high school.

I painted white doilies yellow. The two sided photo displays were found at the dollar store. I spray painted them white. I got photos printed in black and white. The Volzs were kind enough to send me photos and I got a few from our church administrator. One side had an older photo and the other had a recent photo.



The white roses came from Costco online. I got that tip from a friend of mine. Her daughter got married last summer and that was where the flowers came from. The yellow roses came from Trader Joe's. The eucalyptus also came from Trader Joe's. The cost for the arrangements was over 100 dollars. 

My original idea was to make this 

mason jar photos

but I needed smooth jars. I ordered some from Amazon but they were the wrong size. It was too late to order again. I was able to return them. I might use that idea for C's graduation. Maybe. 

Monica was the coordinator of the event. She had to worry about food. Linda and I gave her input and advice. We wanted something classier than the typical church potluck. We had sign ups for food.

We had ham, mashed potatoes, roasted parmesan potatoes, green beans with almonds, Caesar salad and rolls.

Here's my plate.


For dessert we had cheesecake, tuxedo cake, and cookies. All of the desserts came from Costco. For drinks we had "spa water" (water with lemons and limes in it), plain water, lemonade, coffee (decaf and regular) and hot tea. 


People were dismissed as tables which was better than one long line for food.

We had 63 people at the event. All were from our church plus the Volz' daughter and two of their grandsons who are in their 20s. About 5 people got up and spoke during open mike time.

I set up a photo backdrop in the hallway. One reason I chose the hallway is because the walls inside the gym are curved. In retrospect, I should have set it up in the gym. We didn't get many "customers" for the photo booth. I used crepe paper streamers to make it. 


The photographer was our A/V guy who brought his good camera. He took a photo of J and I but I haven't seen the photo yet.


The dinner was a success. One funny thing was that Monica, Linda, and I all had headaches the day after. We all tend to get stress headaches!



Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails