Saturday, February 22, 2020

Plenty of Sunshine

This year both boys had the entire week off from school for Mid Winter Break. This was a first for us. Having the whole week off allowed us to leave home a bit later in the week, after Presidents Day.

We stayed two nights at Suncadia Resort. I looked up when we first went to Suncadia and that was 2014, during Spring Break. If you'd like to go down memory lane, here is a link.

Suncadia was pretty strict about check in time. It is 4 pm and we were hoping for a bit earlier. Again we were frustrated by our inability to make tea in our room. We also had neither a microwave nor a fridge in our room. We thought that was strange since we've stayed in cheap motel rooms that had both.

They had various winter break activities for kids. One was tie dying so I tie dyed a Suncadia sweatshirt. I paid for a t shirt (cheaper) but they didn't have a lot of adult sizes since most "customers" were kids. I got a free upgrade to a sweatshirt. It had to soak for a few days and after rinsing, it is now drying in my bathroom.

We had dinner the first night in Cle Elum, the town nearby, in hopes of saving some money. We ate in a diner type place (called Country Cottage) that was pretty quiet.

One of my goals for the time away was lots of unplugged time, aka, not spent on screens. J had to keep up with work, though. C did some homework and A did a bit of reading.

We had a late lunch at the Stovehouse restaurant. C and I both had butternut squash soup. I liked it, he did not. We played shuffleboard for quite a while. It is a lot like curling. I enjoyed it. I guess I'm ready for the old folks' home. Just kidding!



Here are the men playing fuseball.



On Thursday, A's main goal was filming a video of throwing an Aerobie (a frisbee with a hole in the middle) from the top of the coal hill and someone catching it at the bottom. That required several trips up and down the hill.

While J and the boys worked on this, I had a pot of tea (inside) and read a book. The boys weren't interested in the pool or waterslides. Both looked very busy when we looked in on them.

We played ping pong and the cornhole game (an example is pictured below)

in the games room while we waited for our late dinner reservation of 745. I had a delicious salmon with a side of brocollini and the men had individual pizzas.

Friday morning we packed up and then A and I went cross country skiing for an hour. We did this once before in 2017.
A is smiling!
I think if I ever do it again, I would like some lessons. I don't know how to stop without falling down!
Cross country skiing is quite a work out. My hips are pretty sore today.

Some of A's classmates travelled to visit colleges during Mid Winter break. I would've liked to do that if I had planned farther in advance. I'm thankful for all the sunshine we had during our break, both at home and at Suncadia.



Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails