 |
| Beauty and the Beast (portion) by John Dickson Batten |
On Friday, I went to a special exhibit - Victorian Radicals - at the Seattle Art Museum (SAM) with my friend Mary.
Description from the museum's website:
"Victorian Radicals presents an unprecedented 150 paintings, drawings, sculptures, stained glass, jewelry, textiles, and decorative arts—many never before exhibited outside of the United Kingdom. See vibrant works by the major figures associated with the subversive Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood and the later Arts & Crafts Movement."nt.
The collection's origin is Birmingham, UK.
Here are the images and textiles that caught my eye.
 |
| Two Gentlemen of Verona by William Holman Hunt |
 |
| The Blind Girl by John Everett Millais |
 |
| Pretty Baa Baa Lambs by Ford Maddox Brown |
 |
| Embroidered bed cover. I didn't note the artist. |
 |
| Stained Glass - "Sleepe after Toile" by Mary Jane Newill |
 |
| Hope Comforting Love in Bondage by Sidney Harold Meteyard |
 |
| Face jug by Robert Wallace Martin |
 |
| Fiametta (tiny portrait of Georgie Gaskin) by Arthur Joseph Gaskin |
 |
| Musica by Kate Elizabeth Bunce |
 |
| Design for stained glass - Jacob's Ladder by Henry Holiday |
 |
| "Honeysuckle" fabric (block printed linen) by William Morris |
 |
| Proserpine by Dante Gabriel Rossetti |
 |
| La Donna della Finestra by Dante Gabriel Rossetti |
 |
| St. George Slaying the Dragon (stained glass) by Dante Gabriel Rossetti |
 |
| Work by Ford Madox Brown |
 |
| The Long Engagement by Arthur Hughes |
 |
| The Hunting of Chevy Chase by Edwin Landseer |
The stories that accompany the paintings are fascinating. I can't recount them all. I recommend you look them up OR go see the exhibit which is around until early September.
I enjoy going into the city once in a while. I took the bus and it was very convenient. I rode on the top level of a double decker bus (on the way back) in the front seat with a terrific view. The bus fare was $3.75 (each way), quite a bargain, considering the price of parking downtown.
Admission to the museum was $29.
Pin It
No comments:
Post a Comment