It has been many years since my husband and I have actually been in Canada on Canada Day. This year Canada celebrates its 150th birthday. Since July 1st fell on a Saturday, we decided we could spend the day in Canada. We left home on Saturday morning at about 9:30 am. Our border wait was 20 minutes.
I did some research into Lower Mainland Canada Day celebrations and I picked Richmond since it seemed to be a large one and the salmon BBQ drew me in. Richmond is also convenient to the border.
We arrived in Richmond at about 11:30 am. We parked our car at the edge of where streets were blocked off. As we walked, we found the giant Canadian flag pictured above (in front of a homeowner's garage) and this Mountie happy to pose for photos.
We caught the tail end of the parade. The little we saw was very Asian, as to be expected since Richmond has a majority of Chinese immigrants.
Next was the salmon bbq. There was a super long line.
We ate our salmon then we explored the booths and performers around Richmond. We watched a man on a super tall unicycle juggle flames and knives. We even found a horticulture display with ribbons for extra large rhubarb grown in someone's garden.
Next we walked along the Steveston Waterfront and down to the boat docks.
We saw live crab (still wiggling) and cod being sold from the back of boats. Also, live sea urchins.
This marina is the site where in May a little girl was pulled into the water by a sea lion. We saw lots of signs telling you not to intereact with them or risk a pretty hefty fine. $100,000 I think.
My favourite part of the day was spent sitting on a bench on the boardwalk, people watching.
There was a man playing the pan pipes nearby. My hubby liked that. Me, not so much. Screamers (near the Gulf of Georgia Cannery) sells a delicious pineapple whip ice cream. We had supper on the boardwalk eating fish and chips from Pajo's. Thumbs up for their fish and chips.
We saw this huge yacht docked nearby. Here the boys are prentending it is ours.
We walked to Garry Point Park (near the mouth of the Fraser River) and found a spot for watching fireworks. C and I both put Canadian temporary tattoos on ourselves. I hate my profile so I must really love this photo (taken by C) to share it.
Here are C's hands.
It really cooled down when the sun went down and the wind picked up therefore I was freezing!
After we watched the fireworks, we made the big walk to the car and then sat in a bit of traffic getting out. J moved the car closer to us part way through the day.
Our boys were amused by the sign on the public buses which weren't in service. The sign read "Sorry, Out of Service." They thought that was quintessentially Canadian.
We got through the border fine and arrived at our hotel in Bellingham just after midnight. I couldn't figure out why the front desk clerk was smiling at me. Then I remembered that I had maple leaf temporary tattoos on both off my cheeks. He he!
On Sunday morning we attended Christ Church Bellingham (where my friend's husband is associate pastor) and returned home.
Pin It
1 comment:
That sounds like a fun trip. I like your tattoo.
Post a Comment