Saturday, October 25, 2014

Melty Beads - Not Just For Kids

It's been a tough week. There was a shooting at Parliament Hill in Ottawa, where I worked in the mid 1990s and where my brother in law currently works. Then yesterday there was a shooting at a high school not far north of us. So, here is some harmless crafty goodness to forget all the darkness in the world. At least for a while.
Last weekend I was looking for crafts or activities for my youngest son. He really enjoys making things. I found a bunch of Minecreaft themed creations using Perler beads. I showed him the ideas and he got to work. We spent a quiet Saturday morning together. I sorted the beads by colour and he created. Here are SOME of his creations.
He gave all of the other ones away to friends at school. Later, I decided to get in on the fun and make some. Here are some more of my creations:
Top row: Professor Bunsen Honeydew from the Muppets, Beaker from the Muppets.
Bottom row: Minions from Despicable Me movie.

This is such a simple craft. You line the up the beads on a board and then iron them for a few seconds when you are done. lining up the beads is a bit like counted cross stitch. There are hundreds of pattern ideas if you search Google images or Pinterest, using "hama beads", "perler beads" or "melty beads."

The finished creations can be made into key chains, necklaces or fridge magnets. I think this would be a great activity for young kids learning to count. Small, simple designs, that is.



Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails