Thursday, December 22, 2011

Handel's Messiah

On Sunday, my husband and I went to hear Handel's Messiah performed by the Seattle Symphony. I have done several sing-along Messiahs. We hadn't been to a professional performance since before we were married!

Some interesting facts about Messiah:

- Upon hearing the "Hallelujah Chorus" movement of "Messiah", King George II of England was reputedly so overcome with emotion that he spontaneously rose to his feet. When the king stands, everyone stands, so the audience immediately rose also. The tradition of standing for the chorus is still observed today in most live performances of "Messiah."

- In 1741, Handel set to work composing on August 22 in his little house in London. He grew absorbed in the work that he rarely left his room, hardly stopping to eat. Within six days part one was complete. In nine days more he had finished part two, and in another six, part three. The orchestration was completed in another two days. In all 260 pages of manuscript were filled in the remarkable short time of 24 days.

Check out the new tie and jacket. :)
Pin It

2 comments:

Mamas said...

Fun!
While your hubby looks all spiffed up...What are you wearing? That's what I want to know. haha... I love the top and it looks fabulous on you. Is it a dress or shirt?

Colette said...

You both look great!! What a fun date!

Related Posts with Thumbnails