Sunday, November 09, 2008

Weekly homeschool notes

I'm going to try to post weekly about homeschooling. No promises. :)

I've been keeping a very informal journal of homeschooling. It is fun to look back and see what we've "accomplished." I don't want to get too hung up on schedules and such but keeping records encourages and motivates *me*.

Math - Saxon Math is still going well. My husband and I enjoy using the program even though we don't follow it to the letter. A is doing Level 1 (grade 1).

Phonics - A is working through Book 3 of Explode the Code. This week I also started doing lessons from The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. Since A reads at about a grade 3 or 4 level, I expected that he would be bored if I started at the beginning or he would want to go through several lessons at a time but he has been content to start at the beginning and go through one lesson a day. One aspect of this program that is an adjustment (to A) is answering my questions in complete sentences.

Science - we are using Sonlight Science. I like the books (Usborne) and having a plan. I'm not too fond of doing experiments - the first one was a bust. The second one that I did was a pain - trying to get a kidney bean to stay half way down the side of a jar with a paper towel in it. Both of my boys enjoy the Sonlight Science DVD and A likes the activity pages.

Handwriting - I had planned to use the Handwriting Without Tears program but decided against it, for now. A gets practice with ETCode and Sonlight Science. I have ordered the first book of A Reason for Handwriting so we'll try that one. It has Bible verses to copy out.

History/Geography - I still haven't found a copy of the Sonlight Instructor guide for a reasonable price. I have been using books from the library for history such as A Picture Book of George Washington, etc. I found some great workbooks at the local homeschool store about American symbols and A ate those up!

Art - A's art class had ended. He may take another in January. This coming week we are going on a field trip to the Seattle Art Museum with our homeschool group. I'm excited about that. The topic is "Animals in Art" which is terrific since it combines A's two favourite things. We are reading through the Getting to Know the World's Great Artists series and have read DaVinci, Monet and Norman Rockwell. A continues to love drawing.

Bible - we continue to go through Leading Little Ones to God in the morning and Little Visits with God at bedtime. I write a Bible verse on the chalkboard every day.

Physical activity - A continues to take gymnastics weekly. We went to a bouncy place this past week which was perfect for a rainy day.

Music - we borrowed the animated movie Peter and the Wolf from the library and the boys enjoy it. We have also read one of the books in the Getting to Know the World's Great Composers series. We have the CD - Beethoven's Wig and listened to it this week although we reached song 5 and A said he was bored. Oh dear.

Crafts we have made lately:
- salt dough ghosties (I can't find the link for this one)
- watercolour leaves from Mother Rising
- spider webs from Make and Takes
- fall trees from Ramblings of a Crazy Woman.

For Halloween, I made these fun spider snacks, also from Ramblings of a Crazy Woman.

I need to find some fun Thanksgiving crafts.Pin It

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Hey there! Thanks for the mention.
Namaste,
Wendy aka Mother Rising

Rene' said...

I just posted a fun Thanksgiving craft that we did yesterday. It is really fun to have though it looks like it is similar to the tree you did already. http://100digits.wordpress.com/2008/11/12/a-tree-of-thanks/

Related Posts with Thumbnails