Saturday, December 27, 2014

Books Read in 2014

I was in a bit of a rut, in my reading during 2014. I seemed to gravitate to mysteries this year. I read six books in the Flavia De Luce series and thirteen Lord Peter Whimsey books by Dorothy Sayers!!
This was reflected in my tv watching as well. I watched 31 episodes of Inspector Morse. I can't watch the last one since that would mean there are no more to watch! I like Morse's grumpy, snobby demeanor and the setting of Oxford is so beautiful.
I stayed away from the more depressing or realistic books this past year since I was facing some pretty scary times concerning my own health: multiple blood tests, ultrasounds, a CT scan, a PET scan, and an unexpected surgery.

I read more books in 2014 (a total of 55) than in previous years. I think because I selected shorter books! I read a classic book that I had hoped to read in 2014 - Fahrenheit 451.
Just before Christmas I read a book that had been on my "to read" list since 2007 - The Thirteenth Tale. I am still musing about this book. I'm not sure what I think of it.
As for non-fiction, I enjoyed some biographies - Ben Carson - Gifted Hands
and Crashing Through The Extraordinary True Story of the Man Who Dared to See (true story of man who was blinded as a child and regained his sight as an adult). I enjoyed The Boys in the Boat
(very popular and a good read) but it wasn't one of my favourites.

I read some more books by D.E. Stevenson and they are a very pleasant cosy read.
One fun read was Sense and Sensibility by Joanna Trollope. She took the classic novel by Jane Austen and set it in contemporary time.
One audio book that was a delight and I shared with my nine year old was Knucklehead.
If you have boys in your house, I highly recommend it! Jon Scieszka grew up in a house with five brothers and went to Catholic school. A very funny book.

What do I hope to read in 2015? Well, I enjoy a good audio book to keep me awake and amused/engaged while I drive to and from my boys' school. Finding the right audio book can be a challenge. I was all set to enjoy one when I discovered the narrator was the same one for Les Miserable which I listened to a few years ago. I can't listen to that man's voice any more! I wish there was a larger pool of narrators. One I hope to listen to soon is Fever which is about Typhoid Mary.

Since I enjoy Marilynne Robinson's writing, I plan to read Lila. I also plan on re-reading Paul Miller's A Praying Life. The Light We Cannot See is getting a lot of attention and it appears to be a book that I would like.


Pin It

2 comments:

hopeinbrazil said...

I'm glad you gave yourself permission to read less heavy books this past year. Sayers and Stevenson are perfect for lighter fare - yet with substance. Blessings in 2015!

Sherry said...

I absolutely love Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane. And I'm planning to read The Light We Cannot See. Thanks for linking to the Saturday Review at Semicolon. I'll have some book recommendations for you soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails