The second party to celebrate my parents' 50th Anniversary was held in Victoria on their actual anniversary date - November 2nd. An afternoon tea was held (and 52 guests attended) in the large common room at my parents' seniors complex. Four of my parents' friends made the long journey from Calgary to attend this celebration! This was incredible since they also attended
the September event. The unpredictable November weather kept a few guests away as two different ferries weren't running due to very high winds.
For the program:
- my mom and I sang a duet - Keep on the Sunny Side,
 |
| I hate my profile!! |
- my husband read the poem that his dad wrote,
- my dad's running group (TMG) sang an altered version of Old McDonald changed to Old Young Howard,
- my parents' friend Kailee sang When I Said I Do by Clint Black,
- my mom sang a solo - Until Then,
- we showed the slide show that I created (and it worked!) of the last 50 years,
- some friends spoke in tribute and my dad said a few words.
My mom's wedding dress from 1963 was on display, on a dress form.
We tried to get my parents to kiss after they cut the cake but they wimped out and did a peck on the cheek. :)
I convinced my boys to wear dress shirts and ties for the occasion. My oldest son wore a tie for the very first time.
 |
| I told him that his future wife will love this photo! |
The boys helped me greet guests at the main door and guide them to the elevator or the stairs, depending on their fitness! The members of my dad's running group were in the stairs category. My youngest son did a fantastic job of introducing himself and being welcoming. He is a cub scout and I think this should get him a badge! You know, helping a little old lady across the street? My sons also handed out a keepsake to the guests at the end of the party.
Now I'm thinking of how we'll celebrate my mom's 90th birthday! No, it isn't for a few years yet. :)
Pin It
1 comment:
Sheila, it sounds like it was a terrific celebration for your parents! I really wish I could've been there. If you can, I'd love to see just a few of the pictures you showed. Is there any way that you can email them, assuming they're in a digital form?
We ended up losing power here in Renton for 2-3 hours on Saturday afternoon. We had a fair amount of wind!
It was such a gift to your parents, I'm sure, of what you did for their celebration.
Blessings to you!
Donna
Post a Comment