The next section is written by J.
The first evening it rained as promised, which was a bit
of a first for us. We cooked our Italian sausages over an open fire. After the meal we went to bed very early. C got to sleep
first, but A and I didn't pass out until darkness fell. Despite the early
bedtime, we slept a long time and didn't get up until about 7AM when a crow
decided to go crazy over our head with caw-caw-ing to some other crow far
away.
A says he'd like to try an even more challenging hike next year!
After a breakfast of bacon and baked beans cooked on
our Coleman camp stove, we packed sandwiches, prepped a backpack with 5 water
bottles, and headed out to the trailhead. I was glad I brought the Jeep, because
the old forest road, now called Mount Pilchuck Access Road, is massively
potholed and non-maintained in the middle, unpaved section. We started walking
at exactly 9:30 AM. There was cloud cover and mild temperatures.
It's
officially a 3 mile hike
each way, and 2,200 feet of elevation, spread out pretty much over a constant
grade. It took 2.5 hours to get to the
top and 1.5
hours to get down. I had to rest a lot with the pack I was carrying,
that included the water, snacks, and Sheila's camera. The boys did well, though it was a challenge to be sure.
A is a master
of the climb up, whereas C comes into his own on the descent,
where other people's ankles and feet start getting very sore.
There were really
very few other hikers on the trail. Near the top we asked a couple of groups how
far we were, and got some encouragement to continue. One group of middle-aged
single women were alarmed by seeing a man with a hunting knife in
the wilderness to protect his children. Sigh. At the top, which has a
refurbished fire lookout, you scramble up some big boulders and then climb a
ladder. There were two other parties there when we got there.
It
was completely clouded in at the top when we got there, so there wasn't any view
to enjoy. We set about eating our sandwiches, and I noticed that there was a gal
on her phone, so I realized we suddenly had cell coverage.
I called S from the
top of the mountain which was fun, and each of the boys talked to her also.
After about 20 minutes up there, another hiker said: "Look, the clouds are
breaking." And we all turned and saw our first view. Fortunately over the next
10 minutes the clouds increasingly moved out and about 180 degrees of the view
became visible, in the westerly direction towards the sound. You could see all
the way out to the water.
After taking a bunch of pictures we headed down. While
the going is tough on the ankles and knees, I was so glad not to be lugging that
pack against gravity any more.
We
were very proud of ourselves for our achievement and grabbed some drinks and ice
cream. After that we went shooting with their new air rifle I bought them
and their bow-n-arrow.
A local convenience store owner told us where we could find a shooting pit the
locals use, up the old forest road towards Lower Boardman Lake Trail. There was
no-one else there and we had a great time for about half an hour plinking cans
with BBs we bought from Cabelas. We also
tested out the bow-n-arrow which was fun.
Pin It
No comments:
Post a Comment