The First Thanksgiving (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3) by Linda Hayward.
Thanksgiving Is For Giving Thanks by Margaret Sutherland. An introduction to being thankful. It doesn't give the history of Thanksgiving.

Richard Scarry's The First Thanksgiving of Low Leaf Worm. My boys are big Richard Scarry fans so this library book was requested. It isn't suited for really young kids or those who are sensitive. It mentions death and talks about Indians being slaves with a picture of them being taken away with bound wrists. My husband and I explained slavery to our boys after I read this book to them.
My First Thanksgiving by Tomie dePaola. This is a board book. It is a great introduction to Thanksgiving but better suited to ages 3 and under.
The Thanksgiving Story by Alice Dalgliesh. This one is out of print, I believe. We borrowed it from the library. A very good real-aloud.
The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving by Ann McGovern. Just the right length and just enough detail.

If You Were At the First Thanksgiving by Anne Kamma. This one is a little wordy for my 5 year old but it will be a good one to have around for years to come.
I saw this one at the teacher store and was impressed. This First Thanksgiving Day: A Counting Story by Laura Krauss Melmed. It combines math with the story.
We checked this one out of the library but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Three Young Pilgrims by Cheryl Harness. Barbara recommended it so I'm sure it is good!
I am waiting for the following books at the library so we might not get to them this year.
- Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving by Eric Metaxas
- Thanksgiving Fun by Ronne Randall
- Thanksgiving Is by Gail Gibbons
- A Plump and Perfect Turkey by Teresa Bateman
Give Thanks to the Lord: Celebrating Psalm 92 by Karma Wilson. This book looks terrific. It was recommended by Christian Children's Book Reviews.Pin It
3 comments:
Well it's not Thanksgiving for us in Canada so we didn't read any thanksgiving books but our (late) kids picks is up.
Lowly the Worm was my very favorite Richard Scarry character when I was a kid - he still makes me smile today. I will have to get a copy of Low Leaf Worm!!! Kiddo will really enjoy it, I'm sure.
I love getting book recommendations. I'll take a look at some of these as we really don't have much about Thanksgiving.
Post a Comment